Holy Faith is the oldest Episcopal Church in New Mexico – and one of the oldest of any protestant denominations. But we began in 1863, as a “house church” with only a handful of worshipers. Lay readers frequently conducted services because there was no priest.
Early worshipers were often young Anglo soldiers and officers garrisoned in Santa Fe during the American Civil War. House church meeting places in those days included the Padre Gallegos House we now know as the restaurant, Santacafe, the Lord Templars Hall on the Plaza and the governor’s reception room in the Palace of the Governors.